How to file a Utility model in France:
Utility models are another form of protection for your invention, it is obtained quicker than a patent needing only a few months and no substantive examination is needed. It is a rapid way to provide additional protection to products. France and a number of European countries offer this type of protection. Registering for a utility model is time saving as it does not require a substantive examination, as a patent does. However the period of protection is not as long as that of a patent.
We provide you with any needed advice on utility models. Our attorneys will advise you on the best form of protection for your product, service.
The text of your application must be in French for the prosecution, but we may file in another language to obtain an earlier filing date. If the specification is not in French, a French translation must be provided within 2 months after reception of a notification from the French PTO.
If you claim a foreign Priority, it is necessary to provide:
- The official priority document,
- A French translation of the priority documents 1st page (You may provide an English translation of the first page and we translate it into French)
To apply for a french utility model you must provide
- The description, claims and abstract in any language
- Drawings in any language
- Tips to avoid any irregularities and further costs, please provide:
- Numeral references in parentheses for the claims and abstract,
- A selected drawing for the abstract.
If you are a small entity, you may benefit from 50% off on main fees of the application procedure.
An original small entity certificate must be filed within 1 month from the filing. We can provide a certificate ready to be signed by the applicant.
Fees must be paid within one month of the filing date
- Filing fee : 13€ for small entities et 26€ for large entities
- Claim fee : From the 11th claims 21€/claim for small entities and 42€/claim for large entities
Steps of your patent:
STEP 1 : FILING
STEP 2 : PUBLICATION
Publication is available 16 months after the filing date.
STEP 4 : GRANT
In case of allowance, the grant and printing fee must be paid within 2 months.
Renewal fees have to be paid each year even is the patent has not been granted.